Broken Chains

Broken Chains

Saturday 19 July 2008

Afro kinky Guinea Pig!

I am transitioning people! For eight years I have been 'lyeing' to my hair by putting chemicals to it and straightening it. I used to have long, thick natural hair, and I also for a while had long, thick, relaxed, straight hair. But years of not looking after my hair and giving it the necessary treatments left me with dry, brittle hair!

For months I have contemplated growing my relaxed hair out, and setting my curls free. But I procrastinated, and kept relaxing my hair. Not so much because I wanted to conform, but because it was just so much easier to maintain, or so I thought. I have been browsing the Internet lately and I've seen that natural black hair needs moisture - opposite of what I was doing. I used to oil my scalp with petroleum based products and blow dry my hair on the dryer's hottest setting. I have seen that moisturising hair with good natural products, will nourish the hair and scalp, thus helping it grow to it's maximum capacity. I say i have seen, because I am yet to try out moisturising products. My hair is braided at the moment and because I am transitioning I guess I may keep it in braids for a while, that is until I find the best way to show off my hair without looking unkept. Can you imagine, bushy roots and straight tips? I don't think so!

Seriously though, I am willing to try any hair products, from home made concoctions, to rich, luxurious hair products; you know, the ones that make you go ooooo! lol If you need me to review any of your products, just send me an email to afrodytee@ymail.com. If you've got any advice on how I can take care of my natural hair, and make myself look gorgeous, send me an email. If you are a hairdresser in the UK (I live in North West London) who specializes in natural tresses, go on, send me an email, and maybe we can arrange it so you can 'fix up' my hair and make me look and feel good. Peace!

No comments: