Broken Chains

Broken Chains

Wednesday 1 September 2010

Ponder on this

Here is a quiz I have nicked borrowed from a blog, Lucie's Smiles. It is so true, so I thought I would share:


Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
Name the last half-dozen Academy Award winners for best actor or actress.


How did you do?


The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.


Here’s another quiz. See how you do on this one:


Name five family members who have helped you through difficult times.
Name five friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.


The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.


This was an important lesson I learnt during my two year hiatus. I found myself hating the wealthy but parsimonious members of my family who had all the money and titles in the world, but hearts and compassion of stones. I despised them because in my time of need, they were nowhere to be found. Actually, they were right in front of me but their help was not. They were presently absent and visibly invisible! 


I decided not to focus on the people who came under the first set of quiz questions, but under the second, because those truly were and are the ones who cared and still care for me. It is only God who is lifting the clouds and helping me to focus on the important things in life.


I'll leave you with two quotes:


"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." 
Unknown Author (please let me know the author if you know)


"I get by with a little help from my friends.- John Lennon

No comments: